We are passionate about dealing with Canadian income tax matters.
Let us take the worry out of your tax planning and tax compliance needs. We are available to answer your tax questions and prepare your returns – no matter how straightforward or complicated your needs may be.
We provide the highest level of expertise on tax preparation and offer a personalized level of service. You will want to refer your friends and family to us.
We provide services dealing with
- Personal Tax Returns
- Corporation Tax Returns
- Trust Tax Returns
- Ongoing Tax Planning
We aim to provide proactive tax planning to minimize your tax liability. Our Tax Planning covers:
General Tax Planning:
- Recommending strategies to help reduce a family’s tax burden including establishing prescribed interest rate loans.
- Discussing strategies to minimize tax through structures such a family trusts, holding companies and insurance.
- Providing specific corporate and personal tax planning strategies for business owners.
Separation and Divorce
- Review tax aspects based on taxpayer’s situation, assets involved and work with taxpayer’s family lawyer for optimal outcome.
Purchase or Sale of a Business
- Perform or assist with due diligence, look at tax planning related to the transaction, complete needed tax filings.
- This would include getting new shareholders into the corporation; business transition to next generation; converting of a sole proprietorship to a corporation; eliminating inactive businesses; review and assist with adjusting corporate structure based on business needs.
- Review wills and recommend changes based on individual’s wishes and look at options that may reduce taxes and improve family harmony, all whilst working with your legal team.
- Review tax positions, tax planning options to mitigate taxes, working with executors and preparing personal and trust tax filings
Immigration and Emigration
- Tax planning dealing with immigration to and emigration from Canada.
Capital gains planning:
- Principal residence planning: Assist with evaluating this for clients who own multiple personal use properties.
- Capital gains exemption, reserves: Advising on structuring corporations to qualify as small business corporations; assisting clients with evaluating their eligibility to claim capital gains exemption.
Estate & Trust Planning
Estate planning involves planning for how an individual’s assets will be preserved, managed, and distributed after death. It also considers, the management of an individual’s properties and financial obligations if the individual becomes incapacitated. Assets that could make up an individual’s estate include houses, cars, shares, paintings, life insurance, pensions, and debt. Individuals have various reasons for planning an estate, such as preserving family wealth, providing for surviving spouse and children, funding children and/or grandchildren’s education, or leaving their legacy behind to a charitable cause.
We will listen to your wishes and needs to develop a plan that will last for years. Our aim, whilst preserving family wealth, is also to preserve family unity among beneficiaries.
As a professional advisor who is a tax specialist in the field of estate planning, we will work with your advisors or work with our recommended legal & insurance professionals in getting your estate plan complete.
A typical Estate Plan involves
- Writing a will.
- Setting up any needed trusts
- Identifying potential guardians for living dependents
- Naming an executor of the estate to oversee the terms of the will
- Identifying any life insurance needs
- Tax planning
- Creating/updating beneficiaries on plans such as life insurance, RRSPs, TFSAs
- Setting up funeral arrangements
- Establishing charitable bequests
- Setting up enduring power of attorney (POA) to direct other assets and investments
Trusts could be established to take effect during your lifetime or upon your death. Whether it is best to establish a trust during your lifetime or upon your death will depend on its intended use and your personal situation.
Our services also include:
- Periodic review of your Estate Plan
- Assistance with tax aspects of Estates & Trusts in the Post-Mortem context including
- the preparation and filing of the terminal tax returns and any elective returns or estate/trust returns,
- tax planning
- obtaining clearance certificates
Accounting & Business Advisory Services
We offer a full range of custom services to suit the needs of small & medium size businesses including:
Accounting and Bookkeeping
- Preparation of Notice to Reader Financial Statements
- QuickBooks accounting help / assistance to your bookkeepers
- Provision of book-keeping
We assist clients with matters dealing with starting up and expanding their businesses. The practice is focused largely on Family Businesses.
Our services include:
- Advice to start-ups and ongoing businesses on business structures (sole proprietorship, partnerships, incorporation)
- Partnership/shareholder agreements
- Acquisition structuring and related financial due diligence aspects
- Organize business tax accounts
Family Business Succession Planning
Sooner or later, everyone wants to retire. Business succession planning should be a priority for every family business. Besides ensuring that you can afford to retire, what happens to the business is paramount to your retirement security. There are some things you need to consider ensuring you have the right plan in place:
- Who is going to manage your business in your absence?
- How will ownership be transferred?
- Will your business carry on or will you sell it?
We are adept at helping you assess the various options available and develop a roadmap for the successful transition of your business.
Experience & Expertise
Having over 25 years experience working with entrepreneurs, Adrian is highly referred by clients who have been touched by his demeanour and expertise in dealing with small & medium-size business issues.
Adrian started his working career in the management consulting unit of a Big Four accounting firm. Then he moved into the beer industry before transitioning full-time into private practice.
His ability to work with entrepreneurs has made him a much sought-after person among other entrepreneurs who are keen to secure his services to also assist their businesses and personal financial needs. Adrian offers a personalized service level that has made his clients continually refer him to family and friends.
In developing his professional skillset, Adrian has completed CPA Canada’s In-depth Income Tax Course and is a full member of Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners, a global body dealing with estate and wealth planning across generations, having completed the diploma program of the Canadian body and met their experience requirements. He continues to invest in professional development at staying abreast of tax developments so he could continue to develop and improve his offerings to meet the current and future needs of his clients.
Before moving to Canada, Adrian had completed the accounting exams of two UK Professional Accountancy bodies – the Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA) and the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA), both of which he holds Fellow Member status. During the Stage 2 CIMA Exams of Nov 1996, Adrian achieved the second highest aggregate globally amongst the 5,798 students who sat for that particular stage. Upon moving to Canada, Adrian also completed the needed certification requirements to be a Certified General Accountant in Ontario.
Early on in his career, Adrian realized the benefits of also having a marketing designation. He went on to complete the Chartered Institute of Marketing UK Exams and is an Associate Member of the Institute. The marketing designation has gone a long way in moulding Adrian to be a person who is able to see the entrepreneurial work and work with them to realize their dreams passionately on an ongoing basis.
Adrian played a pivotal role in the growth of Steam Whistle Brewing, having overseen its finance function for many years, upon immigrating to Canada.
Besides his professional life, Adrian is married and has three children. He typically starts off his workday around 4am using the quiet time to focus on getting several hours of work completed, before indulging in his relaxing activities that hitting the gym, watching cricket or reading tax materials. Adrian spends most of August vacationing with his family; often involving long road trips, living his dreams.
Certifications and Memberships
TEP – SOCIETY OF TRUST AND ESTATE PRACTITIONERS (STEP)CANADIAN TAX FOUNDATION – MEMBER
GRADUATE OF CPA Canada’s IN-DEPTH INCOME TAX PROGRAM
CHARTERED INSTITUTE OF MARKETING UK – ASSOCIATE MEMBER (ACIM)
FELLOW MEMBER OF CHARTERED INSTITUTE OF MANAGEMENT ACCOUNTANTS (UK)
FELLOW MEMBER OF ASSOCIATION OF CHARTERED CERTIFIED ACCOUNTANTS (UK)
Tania has been working for the company on a part-time basis for nearly three years. She is passionate about bookkeeping and is a QuickBooks ProAdvisor.
Still very much a teenager, Tania has set her sights on becoming an accountant. Under Adrian’s supervision, she completes the bookkeeping for the client files that have been delegated to her, whether it is on QuickBooks Online or QuickBooks Desktop, and she knows her way around CaseWare Cloud, the balance sheet and profit and loss schedules in the corporation tax returns and income tax returns.
Tania is a CPA Ontario high school ambassador and a business SHSM member at her high school, Notre Dame Catholic Secondary School. She also is an executive member in the school faith ambassador committee and is a member of the ushering committee at St. Bernadette’s Roman Catholic Church.